Friday 6 February 2009

Street Where the Riches of Ages Are Stowed

One of my favourite movies growing up was always Bedknobs and Broomsticks (if you haven't seen it, go rent it. It's a Disney classic in my book). It juxtaposes witchcraft, catchy songs and animated characters interacting with Angela Lansbury and David Tomlinson with the backdrop of WWII England, all while maintaining a light, comedic and entertaining tone.

Aspiring witch Miss Price (Lansbury), her conman "professor" Emelius Brown (Tomlinson) and orphan children Carrie, Charlie and Paul set off in search of the other half of a magic book at the Portobello Road Market, and, like in any great Disney flick, there's even a song and dance number to go with it. Get nostalgic with me and watch the scene (thank you Youtube!):



Anyways, for the longest time, I convinced myself Portobello Road was an imaginary place made up for the movie. I had no idea it actually existed! I couldn't wait to go check it out once I arrived in London.

My friend Anne, who was equally eager to visit the market, and I planned a trip to the infamous street with our friends Jackie and Clara on Friday. Aside from taking lots of pictures and humming the song the whole time, I picked up lots of inexpensive souvenirs for my family and friends and a few new outfits. Though it wasn't exactly like it was in the movie, we still had lots of fun browsing the little boutiques, antique shops and street carts filled with colorful fruits, elaborate jewelry and even old books.

Photo: From left to right, Jackie, Anne & I with the Portobello Road street sign

No comments: