Thursday 16 December 2021

Holiday Movie Snack-a-Thon: Scrooged

Night 3 featured a holiday classic I'd never seen before: Scrooged. But at friends' insistance, I added it to the list. Plus, it was highly praised as one of the best holiday movies of all time by the Great Pop Culture Debate (you can listen to the whole episode here), and I trust their judgement when it comes to iconic (take a drink) pop culture-y things. Definitely a little weird and dark at times, but Bill Murray makes the movie both heartwarming and hilarious.

The menu was a little trickier to come up with, but we managed to eat pretty well. I kept things simple since I was putting everything together after working at the office all day.


Appetizer: Scrooged Pretzel Cigars & Hummus

Between the movie poster, and chain-smoking taxi driver, we decided "cigars" was a good way to go. I used pretzel rods and dipped them in roasted red pepper hummus. Yum!

Main: Chinese Takeout

Took the easy way out on this one too -- Claire asks Frank if he wants to go get some Chinese food. We did and ordered from our favorite place around the corner -- lo mein and egg rolls.

Dessert: Payday Popcorn

Had to get a little creative on this one. I microwaved some popcorn, then topped it with chopped up Payday bars. It didn't combine as well as I would have liked, but the flavor was good - buttery, salty and sweet. Who can resist that combination?

Drink: Scrooged Sparkler

Pour 1 oz apple brandy in a champagne glass, then top with champagne (we used Proseco). A little sweet, but still tasty.


Tonight's film is a classic -- "It's a Wonderful Life." It was my mom's favorite growing up, so we watched it every year. 


 

No comments: