Thursday 28 October 2021

Heads Will Roll

So I'll be honest, Saturday's movie and menu did not go at all how I planned. Partially disrupted by an emergency Saturday trip to the pediatrician (little one is ok, I promise). But by the time I got home from that, figured out meds and took care of the kiddo, I was pretty fried. But I was still determined to at least attempt my recipes.

On the menu: "Devil on Horseback" (bacon-wrapped, cheese-stuffed dates); 'Bird in a Cage' roast chicken and pumpkin hand pies. I had to forgo the cookies and mulled wine for time purposes.


Devils on Horseback - from Martha Stewart

Ingredients

12 dates

4 slices bacon

Goat cheese

Toothpicks 


Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Put aluminum foil or parchment paper on baking sheet, then top with wire rack.
  2. Soak 12 toothpicks in water for 5-10 minutes.
  3. Cut a slit in dates, but don't cut all the way through. Stuff with cheese. Martha's recipe called for Stilton, I used goat cheese and it was delicious! You could use any kind of cheese you like, but I'd recommend something with some tangy-ness or funk to it to off-set the sweetness of the date.
  4. Cut bacon strips into thirds. Wrap each date and secure with toothpicks. I found 1/3 of a slice was enough for each date, but depending on the size of your dates and bacon, you may have to use 1/2 a strip or a full strip.
  5. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until bacon is crispy and enjoy. These came out really good!

 

Bird in a Cage Roast Chicken

Ingredients

4 Chicken Thighs (I used boneless, skinless, but if I did it again, I'd use skin-on)

4 carrots, peeled

1/2 lb baby potatoes, cut in half (I used a mix of red, white and purple)

1/2 an onion, diced

Salt, pepper, rosemary and garlic powder (to taste)


Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees and line a baking sheet with aluminum foil. Spray with cooking spray.
  2. Prep veggies and coat with oil (olive, canola or vegetable are fine). Season liberally with salt, pepper and garlic powder.
  3. Brush chicken with oil and season with salt, pepper and rosemary.
  4. Place chicken and veggies on sheet pan and bake for 20-25 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.
  5. Using a paring knife, cut carrots into thin strips. Drape over chicken to create the "cage."

 


Pumpkin Hand Pies: I used Little Debbie Pumpkin Delights because I just did not have the energy to bake cookies. They were surprisingly tasty.


Here's the final spread (probably my least impressive so far): 

Devils on Horseback: 9/10

Bird in a Cage: 4/10

Pumpkin Hand Pies: 5/10


Not my most successful night. Maybe I'll try again next year. Next up on the list, a Halloween classic: "It's the Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown!"




No comments: