Friday 27 August 2010

Back in Action

This blog has been woefully neglected lately. So much so, I'm not sure my blog and I are even on speaking terms. I assure you, blog, it's not you, it's me. Life has been incredibly hectic lately, but that's no excuse. I think it's time we rekindled our relationship. It might not be an everyday thing, but we should try to catch up at least a few times a week. Deal? Good. Now for the sake of keeping things pithy, let's get right to it, shall we?

Real life is scary as hell. Yup, I've officially graduated college and have been a full-fledged, real-life adult for more than 3 months now. I've successfully accomplished my first post-college goal (get a real job in my chosen career field, journalism), but I'm not entirely sure where to go from here. Don't get me wrong, life is great. I'm working nights as an associate producer from 13WHAM news in Rochester (coincidentally, the station I literally grew up watching) and I'm still freelancing feature pieces for City newspaper. Every day presents me with new challenges and ideas and I'm loving it (hey, just because I don't have to get up for 8 a.m. classes anymore doesn't mean I have to stop learning, right?).

And even though I've picked up tons of new skills -- like how to simultaneously check my email, import new HD graphics into ENPS, write two completely different stories, take three phone calls and listen to the police scanner (yes, I assure you, it can be done) -- what I've learned the most about is myself (stop rolling your eyes -- I know you're rolling your eyes).

Self-awareness has been a strong trait of mine since I was about five years old. But that only takes me up to the present. I know myself NOW. As I am, and how I was in the past. But who I'll become in the future? I'm clueless. Friends around me have specific career goals, places they want to live, even potential life mates. I don't have any of those nailed down.

But maybe there's something wonderful about that. Taking life at face value. Life hasn't dealt me a royal flush (oh yes, kiddies, it's a poker reference), but clutching a four of a kind is a solid hand to win with.

And I need the win -- being a "real" adult means paying bills and student loans!

No comments: