Thursday 24 January 2008

A New Experiment


It's been said that the Internet is the way of the future, especially when it comes to my chosen field of study: journalism. Yet despite my best efforts to become web-savvy, including working as an editor for Ithaca College's weekly newspaper, The Ithacan, a few Web design classes here and there and surfing through cyberspace in the wee hours of the morning rather than finishing my homework, this is my first stint as a blogger. To be honest, I'm still a little unsure of where to begin.

According to Dictionary.com, a blogger is defined as "a person who keeps a Web log (blog) or publish an online diary." Vague, but at least I'm getting a better sense of direction for this new venture.

So, I decided to browse a few blogs for some ideas. I found everything from celebrity gossip and ridiculous pop culture to the morose and dismal poetry of moody middle-schoolers to legitimate and thoughtful posts on major magazine and newspapers' Web sites.

While on this quest to find my personal blogger identity, I found something else: reading extensively lengthy posts is an exhausting mission few chose to embark on. Sometimes because of poor quality material, other times because the general American public is moving away from reading. Hence the decline in newspaper readership over the past decade or so, but I digress.

That said, I hope to keep you, my faithful readers (however few of you there actually are), informed, interested and thinking. Although this blog was created specifically to track my progress in Nonfiction Laboratory, a course I am currently enrolled in at Ithaca College, I hope to, in my copious spare time, enlighten you on subjects of interest to this future journalist, and ideally, to you as well.

Before I go, a quick thank you to blogger Dear Kitty for the cartoon.

Sit back, enjoy and get caught up in this Perpetual Whirlwind.

No comments: